How to use Remote Desktop on an alternative Port
By default, Remote Desktop is setup to run under port 3389. You may want to change this port for any reason, I’ve done it to be able to have multiple Remote Desktop connection at home without paying for extra IP addresses.
I’ve tested this successfully on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Seven RC, Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008.
Here’s how to do it on the server:
- Open the Registry Editor ( Start » Run » regedit )
- Go to
- Rick Click on PortNumber
- Select Modify
- Change the Base from Hexadecimal to Decimal
- Modify the value to whatever port you want (Make sure it is not a reserved port!)
And now on the client:
- Open Remote Desktop ( Start » Run » mstsc )
- Type in the address:port ( ex: 22.214.171.124:3388 )
This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 at 10:09 am and is filed under Server, Windows 7. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.