Essayflow goes over the full essay creating procedure - from organizing and likely to conclusion. Composing essays is organised gradually so i highly recommend that you use it this way. On the other hand, you will see coming from the sidebar that this guideline is split into several help me write an essay that it is separated into reduced parts or subsections. Allowing you to often study it right thru from beginning to end or go directly to the area that’s most relevant to you. You will notice in the topbar choices higher than that additionally there is a glossary of terms employed in this article; and a list of encouraged additionally reading through and internet based information. It can do not deliver comprehensive advice on typical study capabilities although it does deal with some areas of reading for crafting and the way compose a literature assessment. Not like some instructions, that one does not have everything to say about using computing devices with the exception of: make use of them, and keep your operate often.

ASP.NET MVC Action Filter – Ajax Only Attribute

The website I’m currently working on has a lot of AJAX incorporated in it, so my controller has a few actions which are only called in AJAX. At first I was using HttpContext.Request.IsAjaxRequest() within my action to control if the request was indeed an Ajax one, but I didn’t like the fact that I needed to call HttpContext in my control; it also made a lot of redundant code. That is why I decided to build an Action Filter that would do that for me.

Here’s the Action Filter

public class AjaxOnlyAttribute : ActionFilterAttribute
    {
        public override void OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext filterContext)
        {
            if(!filterContext.HttpContext.Request.IsAjaxRequest())
                filterContext.HttpContext.Response.Redirect("/error/404");
        }

public override void OnActionExecuted(ActionExecutedContext filterContext)
        {

}
    }

And an implementation example

[AjaxOnly]
    public ActionResult AjaxActionMethod()
    {
        ....
    }

This might not be the best solution, but works pretty good for me so far!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 at 3:03 pm and is filed under ASP.NET, C#.NET, Developement, MVC. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 Responses to “ASP.NET MVC Action Filter – Ajax Only Attribute”

Andrew Nurse May 28th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Cool stuff. Maybe you could convert it from an Action Filter to an Action Selector though, similar to the AcceptVerbs attribute. Then, a non ajax result to that method will act like a request to a non-existant action.

(See System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodSelectorAttribute)

Andrew Gunn May 28th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Good article. Instead of hard-coding the 404 redirect, I’d change the response’s status code and let ASP.NET decide where the user should go:

filterContext.HttpContext.Response.StatusCode = 401;

Alternatively, you could wrap this up in a class that inherits from ActionResult (just like AuthorizeAttribute):

public class HttpNotFoundResult : ActionResult
{
public override void ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context)
{
if (context == null)
{
throw new ArgumentNullException(“context”);
}
context.HttpContext.Response.StatusCode = 401;
}
}

…and set the result of the filter context:

filterContext.Result = HttpNotFoundResult;

Hope this helps.

Andrew Gunn May 28th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I mean:

filterContext.Result = new HttpNotFoundResult();

Andrew Gunn May 28th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

And obviously, the 401 should be 404. Third time lucky!

dervalp May 28th, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I am wondering, is that a normal behavior to put your action “Ajax only” ? For me yes, cause sometime you want to use function only with ajax and if you’re trying the put the url in the browser, sending a 404 is a normal behavior. But if it’s a normal way, why this function is not integrate in the MVC framework ? Is there someone who knows more about this ?

Mike May 28th, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I’m pretty sure we will see such an attribute in a future MVC release, don’t forget we’re still at version 1.0!

andrexx May 29th, 2009 at 1:54 am

Such attribute already exist in MvcFutures assembly – AcceptAjaxAttribute,
but throw Exception instead 404 error.

Martin Karlsson February 2nd, 2010 at 9:12 am

Big warning sign: Some hardware firewalls (e.g. Watchguard) have a feature that silently removes all “non-standard” HTTP headers, including the X-Requested-With header which IsAjaxRequest() checks. So if your AJAX requests suddenly start getting 404′s you now know why!

Lee smith March 3rd, 2011 at 5:57 am

Same thing but updated for MVC 3:

[AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Method)]
public class AjaxOnlyAttribute: ActionFilterAttribute
{

public override void OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext filterContext)
{